Wednesday, April 26, 2017

April Club Scrap Blog Hop & Linky Party

Welcome to the Club Scrap Blog Hop and LinkyParty. You should have come here from the FABULOUS Lisa's blog! Hasn't everyone done a great job so!

I made two projects for this blog hop because I just LOVE the Cherry Blossom kit so much!

When I think of cherry blossoms I think of the Orient, and the first thing that came to mind was a lantern. This is not they typical Chinese Lantern but it is a lantern! The first thing I did was cut a lantern from white cardstock from the Silhouette. I cut four red frames, one for each side and  I used the branch stencil  with brown paint on the silver paper that was in the kit. The silver paper is velumn like so it is translucent and I knew it would let the light through. Be sure if you make a paper lantern to use LCD candles! For the flowers I used the Cherry Blossom Stickers and a ribbon on top.
 


 
Here it is lit up at night. Looks so awesome! I put it on my dining room table and it gives just enough light that we don't need to turn on the ceiling light when walking through.
 
 
Here is one of the side panels day and night.


Next I made this layout of my very beautiful granddaughter!

 I cut out a white circle and painted it pink and purple and then place a layer of faux beads around the edge of the circle.


I made three awesome rosette fans using the paper from the cutout sheets. I LOVE this one! The cute little bird was also included in the kit.


I cut out a parasol and for the parasol handle I painted a toothpick black and used that to give it dimension. The lanterns were also cut from the patterned paper and I used pop tops to give them a lift.


Other products I used were Recollections metal pieces and doilies, Heidi Swapp Acetate title, brads and some of my homemade foam Cherry Blossoms.

On this post I spoke a little about the foam, but let me try to explain how I made them. I cut petals from foam and inked them. As you can see they don't have to be perfect. Next take a petal and put it up against a hot iron, make sure to hold it up with something that won't burn. I was a concerned the foam would melt on my iron, but it didn't. Hold it there until it start to curl and let it drop. Wait a few seconds, pick it up and crunch it up in a tiny little ball, this takes some work.  Then open up each petal and pull lightly into shape, trying not to pull out the top where all the curves and wrinkles are. When you have them all done hot glue the petals on a piece of cardstock cut out in a circle, slightly overlapping the previous petal.


Add a brad, button or stamen in the center.

 Next stop is the very talented Kelly.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Donna Coughlin
 

 

17 comments:

Papercrafting Princess said...

What amazing projects!

Annette said...

Totally adorable! Great lantern project which would work with Christmas papers and used on the tree as well.

Cheryl Walker said...

Beautiful lantern, and gorgeous layout! Love how you created the flower using the foam and iron, that is really neat! And Gorgeous!!!!
Hugs
Cheryl

Karen Wyngaard said...

Oh. Em. Gee! As if the lantern wasn't cool enough, you went and outdid yourself on the layout. The paper fans, the foam flowers...all gorgeous and perfect for that photo!

Capescrapper said...

Donna your foam flowers and paper fans WOW, this layout is amazing!
And your lantern is superb!!

Kelly said...

So much dimension in your samples. That lantern is ah-mazing, and all the little elements on your page are incredible. Well done!

Hetty said...

Wow, Dona, you have been busy. Great paper lantern ad that cute page with circle is just perfect.

Lisa D said...

Oh my! Details, details! All of them gorgeous. I love the foam flowers.

Ink Stained Roni said...

WOW that lo is totally over the top cool...love how you laid it out in the circle of pearls. Just beautiful!! You lantern is of course really nifty as well.

APeeling Crafts said...

Both projects are amazing! Love the lantern! Awesome details on the layout!

Wendy Bellino said...

WOW Donna! So much eye candy here! I love your attention to detail! The LO is gorgeous and your granddaughter is a beauty.

Finding Your Niche said...

Wow love the lantern and your page is gorgeous. Beautiful projects!

Kay Williamson said...

Donna, that lantern...brilliant....that layout....simply beautiful!!!

Lilian said...

Beautiful lantern! And the page is awesome!!! So pretty! Love those flowers!!!
Lilian
The Leaf Studio

Jill P said...

beautiful layout and a cute lantern

Tricia Morris said...

Marvelous work, Donna. I love the lantern! <3

jen t. said...

Love all the layers and texture on your page and that lantern rocks!!