Club Scrap Artist team blog hop challenge. You should have come here from the Club Scrap blog and did you check out Karens amazing project? This months challenge is to create flowers and/or butterflies accents. So today I made handmade flowers, I have tons of scrappy flowers on my Pinterest page that I hardly ever use, so this was perfect for this challenge. But first I want to show the butterfly I made. I used the Silhouette Cameo to cut this shape from a coloring page I found on the internet, using the erase tool on the Silhouette I erased some of the lines and enlarged others. Coloring pages are a great tool to trace on the Silhouette.
I cut one with the design in and one just an outline. To tie it into my flowers I used leftover tulle.
Then glued the body of the butterfly together and added some bling.
Now for the flower tutorial. After reading several blogs on how to do make organza flowers I gathered the following materials: organza and/or tulle, candle, matches, scissor, tweezers, gems or micro beads (or anything you want to use for the center), glossy accents, needle and thread, pen and something round to use as a template,( I used a paper cup) and a pot of water in case of fire (just my safety precaution!)
Cut out your shapes I used two sizes. You really don't even need to trace circles, if you can cut a decent circle your in good shape. Don't worry about them being perfectly round, once you start singing the edges they curl up anyway and pen marks won't show! (sorry these look like hot pink but actually it is a little softer!)
I also cut a little slit around the edges, but next time I am skipping this step, don't think that it was neccessary.
Then using the tweezers be very careful and don't get too close to the flame, it melts very quickly and is flammable. I held it about an inch above the flame. You really need to find the right spot so experiment with scraps the first time you try! Once you get the hang of it, it is super easy and fun.
They shrink as you can see. I had a three wick candle and I found out that the largest flame shrunk and curled the flowers the most. You have to experiement with that until you find what makes you happy. I know they look terrible now, but wait until you see them layered!
So your next step is to start layering, I used 5 or 6 pieces on each, but that is really up to you, could add more or use less. I hand stitched them in the center and then either used bling or a tiny piece of organza and used Glossy Accents to hold it in place.
This one was my favorite. I used tulle that I singed very lightly, the two layers of organza, another layout of tulle, and another layer of organza and topped with a gem.
Here is my finished layout. I used Jewel Dazzles and colored them pink with some color mist to make the circles that are right of the picture. I also used the color mist on the little butterflies to the left.
This only cost my 2.70 to make 8 of these and I still have leftover material to make more. I bought the smallest amount of tulle allowed at the fabric store for for 70 cents (it was on sale for 4.00 a yard) and the organza I got 1/4 yard for 2.00 using a 40 percent off coupon. I LOVE those brand name flowers, but they are like 5.99 a package and you only get a few.
I spend tons of money on scrapbooking supplies so once it while it good to know I can control my spending and make my own embellishments! LOL Plus it is rewarding and satisfying to make them!
organza and tulle
Queen & Co bling
7 gypsies brads
Fancy Pants Overlay
Bella Blvd and Kaiser stickers
Next off to the very talented Lisa's blog! Thanks for stopping by!